Dr. Panagiotis Papantoniou was Civil Transportation Engineer, PostDoc Research Associate at the Technical University of Munich.
He graduated from the School of Civil Engineering at the NTUA after having followed the option of Transportation Engineering and he has a Master of Science in the Interdisciplinary - Interdepartmental Program "Water Resources Science & Technology". His PhD is titled “Risk factors, driver behaviour and accident probability. The case of distracted driving” and he has also a Post-Doc titled “Multilevel analysis of driving behaviour with focus on distraction based on a driving simulator experiment” within the framework of a fellowship by the State Scholarships Foundation (IKY).
Within his academic activities he has teached as adjunct lecturer the graduate courses “Analysis and Design of Transport I" at University of Patras, “Road Safety” at University of Thessaly and “Road design II” at University of West Attica and has co-supervised more than 15 Diploma theses. He has 10 years of research experience in traffic engineering and road safety with emphasis on human factors, has participated in 15 research projects and has published 17 papers in scientific journals and 53 conference papers with full paper review.
He is also member of several scientific organisations and committees, reviewer of papers to be published in scientific journals (7) and conferences (4) and member of the organizing committee of several international conferences. He is general secretary of Hellenic Institute of Transportation Engineers and he has received 14 Greek and International scientific awards, including the “European Friedrich-List-Prize” regarding the best doctoral dissertation in Europe in Transport for 2015 and the Seal of Excellence Certificate delivered by the European Commission, under the Horizon 2020’s Marie Skłodowska-Curie action.
Publication of 70 scientific papers: 17 papers in journals and 53 conference papers with full paper review.
Selected recent publications:
- Papantoniou P., Yannis G., Christofa E. (2018). “Which factors lead to driving errors? A structural equation model analysis through a driving simulator experiment”. International Association of Traffic and Safety Sciences, In press
- Papantoniou P., Yannis G., Antoniou C., Pavlou D., “Which factors affect accident probability at unexpected incidents? A Structural Equation Model approach”. Journal of Transportation Safety & Security, In press
- Papantoniou P. (2018). “Structural Equation Model analysis for the evaluation of overall driving performance: A driving simulator study focusing on driver distraction”, Traffic Injury and Prevention, 19(3):317-325
- Yannis G., Laiou A., Papantoniou P., Gkartzonikas C. (2016). "Simulation of Texting Impact on Young Drivers' Behaviour and Safety on Motorways", Transportation Research Part F, Vol 41, 10–18
- Papantoniou P., Papadimitriou E., Yannis G. (2015). "Assessment of Driving Simulator Studies on Driver Distraction", Advances in Transportation Studies, Issue 35, 129-144.
Conferences and Seminars
Participation in more than 50 Conferences and Seminars having published 53 papers in Conferences with with full paper review and 11 with publication of abstract in the Proceedings. 25 presentations were after invitation.
Selected invited speaker presentations
- Invited key note speaker presenting "Road Safety and Automation", in the 31th ICTCT Conference titled “On the track of future urban mobility: safety, human factors and technology” (Porto, 25 October 2018)
- Invited speaker presenting "Risks and Countermeasures for Road Traffic of the Elderly in Europe", in the 10th International Conference titled “Urban Traffic Safety” organised by City of Edmonton (Edmonton, 10 July 2018)
- Invited speaker presenting "Problems and Solutions for children safety", in the International Conference “Traffic Education: Modern Educational Approaches and Good Practices” (Tunis, 27 April 2018)
- Invited speaker presenting "Risk factors, driver behaviour and accident probability. The case of distracted driving." In the Annual Road Safety COrence of Israel organized by the Bar-Ilan University (Tel Aviv, 7 July 2016)
|Sep 2016- Today||Adjunct Lecturer on Analysis and Design of Transport I |
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, Greece
|Sep 2018- Today||Adjunct Lecturer on Road Safety |
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Thessaly, Greece
|Sep 2018- Today||Adjunct Lecturer on Road Design II |
Department of Surveying and Geoinformatics Engineering, University of West Attica, Greece
|Sep 2011-Today||Teaching Assistant on Traffic Management and Road Safety |
School of Civil Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
|Sep 2011-Today||Diploma Thesis supervisor |
2 diploma theses in the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, Greece
15+ diploma theses in the School of Civil Engineering, NTUA, Greece
- Post-Doc at the Technical University of Munich titled “Human Like Autonomous Vehicles” within the framework of the Eurotech PostDoctoral Programme
- Post-Doc at the Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering in the School of Civil Engineering of NTUA. Title: “Multilevel analysis of driving behaviour with focus on distraction based on a driving simulator experiment”. State Scholarships Foundation (IKY) Fellow
- PhD at the Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering in the School of Civil Engineering of NTUA. Title: Risk factors, driver behaviour and accident probability.
- Master of Science in the Interdisciplinary - Interdepartmental Program "Water Resources Science & Technology" of NTUA
- Diploma of Civil Engineering, NTUA, Option of Transportation Engineer
Participation in 15 research projects in the field of transportation planning and Engineering
Selected research projects
- “CyclUrban - Cycling as an element of urban climate mitigation policy” of the European Climate Initiative, set up by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety
- “Wider Impacts and Scenario Evaluation of Autonomous and Connected Transport of the COST grant system
- "ERSO+ Update of the European Road Safety Observatory" carried out for the Directorate General for Transport and Mobility of the European Commission.
- "DRIVERBRAIN - Performance of drivers with cerebral diseases at unexpected incidents" in the framework of the research programme ARISTEIA of the General Secretariat for Research and Technology.
- "DISTRACT - Causes and impacts of driver distraction: a driving simulator study" in the framework of the research programme THALIS for the Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs.
- "DaCoTA - Data Collection, Transfer and Analysis" of the 7th framework programme of the European Commission.