Athanasios (Akis) Theofilatos
Athanasios (Akis) Theofilatos is a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Technical University of Munich. He holds a Civil Engineering Diploma from National Technical University of Athens (NTUA, 2009), an M.Sc. in Transport from the Imperial College & UCL (2010) and a Ph.D. in Transport Safety from NTUA (2015, PhD Studentship from NTUA). His recent postdoctoral research (2017-2018) was supported by IKY (State Scholarships Foundation) in NTUA. His research focuses on road safety, accident analysis, statistical and econometric methods, machine learning and discrete choice methods.
Akis has more than 8 years of experience in several aspects of transportation safety and engineering, has participated in 10 research projects and has published 23 journal papers and 39 conference papers (Scopus h-index=6, Google Scholar h-index=8).
|Sep 2017- January 2018||Visiting Lecturer on Transport Analysis (module leader) |
MSc Programme on Transport and Planning
Cardiff University, United Kingdom
|Sep 2011- Nov 2018||Teaching Assistant |
Modules: Traffic Flow, Traffic Management and Road Safety
School of Civil Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
|Sep 2011- Nov 2018||Supervising Assistant |
11 Diploma Theses
School of Civl Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
Key Research Projects
• SaferAfrica, Horizons 2020 framework programme on transport research of the European Commission (2018)
• SAFERWHEELS, European Commission DG MOVE (2017 – 2018)
• SAFETYCUBE - Safety Causation, Benefits and Efficiency of the Horizons 2020 framework programme on transport research of the European Commission (Task Leader, Task 4.2 of WP4 on “Behavioural Measures”) (2015 – 2018)
• SARTRE - Social Attitudes to Traffic Risk in Europe, European Commission, DGTREN (2010 – 2012)
• PEVE 2009 - Analysis of pedestrians’ road crossing behaviour in urban areas by means of survival analysis of the program for the support of basic research of NTUA (2009)
• 2-BE-SAFE -Two-Wheeler Behaviour and Safety of the seventh framework program on transport research of the European Commission (2010)
Reviewing Activities and Scientific Committees
Akis also serves as a reviewer for more than 20 scientific journals (Accident Analysis and Prevention, Transportation Research Part F, Traffic Injury Prevention, Journal of Advanced Transportation, Journal of Transportation Safety and Security, Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, Transportation Letters etc.)
Akis is and has been a member of the following scientific committees:
• Standing Committee on Alcohol, Other Drugs, and Transportation as a Young Member. Transportation Research Board, TRB, 2018 – 2021.
• hEART2018 Conference, Athens, Greece, 5-7 September 2018.